This swelling may be slight and cause stiffness or it can create severe pain and swelling that develops in just a few hours.
The main cause is uric acid overload either due to inefficient waste elimination or excessive creation.Uric acid is formed during the breakdown of what is known as purines. This chemical is found in many foods and occurs naturally within the body.When the kidneys are unable to rid the body of uric acid, crystal formations are created and deposited around the joints.
How To Reduce Uric Acid
Changes to dietary intake should be a lifestyle change implemented and followed for life. Proper dietary intake generally consists of a variety of fresh colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meat and seafood, and whole, unprocessed, unenriched grains.
- The reduction of processed sugars such as high fructose corn syrup, food high in saturated fats, and alcohol are healthy practices for everyone.
- The body should be kept hydrated with a combination of water, natural juices without any added sugar, fruit infused water, and herbal teas sweetened with honey.
- Stress should be reduced when and wherever possible through means which are easily obtainable. A hike in the mountains, or any form of natural landscape, provides physical activity and a wonderful environment to meditate in.
- Water, as mentioned, keeps the body hydrated and assists in flushing the body ridding it of toxins including overloads of uric acid.
Helpful Tonics To Fight Gout
- Lemon water is delicious, increases the alkalinity of the body, and prevents uric acid crystal formation. Squeeze half of a lemon into 8 ounces of warm or tepid water to drink every morning prior to breakfast.
- Add a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to 8 ounces of water to drink prior to lunch and supper every day. Apple cider vinegar also increases body alkalinity. Systems which are slightly more alkaline than acidic prevent gout and numerous other negative health conditions. This form of vinegar contains malic acid which is believed to not only breakdown uric acid, but help flush it from the body.
- Sodium bicarbonate, also known as baking soda, has been shown to be an effective prophylaxis candidate for the reduction of uric acid in the body. Adding half of a teaspoon to one glass of water a day is best for prevention. An increase to a whole teaspoon is more effective for current attacks of gout.
Best Foods To Fight Gout
- The University Hospital of Zurich in Switzerland discovered that the extract of Devil’s Claw had measurable anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fifteen flavonoids were found to reduce uric acid in the body through various mechanisms, two of which are kaempferol and quercetin and found in parsley. It also contains apigenin which inhibits the xanthine oxidase enzyme thought to be the authority over converting purines into uric acid.
- Properties in flaxseed reduced serum uric acid of subjects during a laboratory test at the Federal Fluminense University.
- Curcumin, found in Turmeric, was proven to play a major role in renal protection and demonstrated effective anti-inflammatory actions.
- Bromelain, derived from pineapples, displayed both anti-inflammatory and analgesic effects in clinical trials.
- Cherries, berries, and grapes contain proanthocyanidins and anthocyanidins, or polyphenols, which were found to be effective anti-inflammatories by the Lanzhou Medical College.
During attacks of gout it is recommended that patients rest the afflicted area and soak it in Epson salts at least 3 times each week to reduce inflammation as well as pain.
In addition, cold and hot compresses help to relieve pain as well as swelling. These should be applied for approximately 15 minutes each in alternating sessions of about 2 to 3 hours.
It is important to seek professional medical advice in the face of any suspected health condition